Strong Advocates
For the Injured And For A Safer Iowa

Fighting For Iowans Injured Because Of Negligent Driving

In Iowa, thousands of people suffer injuries due to car accidents every year. If you are one of them, you do not have to become another statistic. You have legal options that can help you move forward. The personal injury lawyers at Galligan Law have successfully represented thousands of Iowans injured on Iowa roads. We have also advocated for families after fatal car accidents took the lives of their loved ones.

With decades of experience representing victims of motor vehicle crashes, our Des Moines car accident attorneys have a proven track record of getting positive results for clients. With a tradition of service in the Des Moines area, you can trust us to help you obtain the compensation and justice you deserve.

Experience That Gets Results

The overwhelming majority of Iowa car accident injuries and deaths can be traced to negligent driving. The injuries suffered in a collision can be life-altering. For instance, victims are often left with challenges such as loss of income, medical bills, pain, loss of function, depression, anguish and loss of enjoyment of life. And the effects of the death of a loved one can be life-shattering.

We have handled nearly every type and configuration of crash, including:

  • Rear-end collisions
  • T-bone accidents at the intersection
  • Side impact/broadside/T-bone or sideswipe accidents
  • Backup accidents
  • Rollovers
  • A driver’s loss of control
  • Multivehicle accidents
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Accidents involving trucks, such as tractor-trailer
  • Accidents caused by negligent operation of farm tractors, buses, ATVs and motorcycles

We also have deep knowledge, experience and understanding of the countless types, severity and mechanisms of injuries that result from car accidents. Our skill in handling wrongful death cases allows us to give you the strongest voice when your loved one has been killed as a result of negligent driving.

No Stone Unturned

When you hire Galligan Law to represent you and investigate your motor vehicle collision case, we leave no stone unturned. In our investigation, we look into all possible causes of the collision, potentially liable parties and avenues for financial recovery. We will investigate and advise you on applicable insurance coverages, including uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, dram shop coverage, liability umbrellas and corporate coverages.

We will also investigate defective vehicle design, roadway design, dram shops, employer-employee relationships, vehicle ownership and agency-independent contractor relationships to ensure that all responsible parties are held accountable and that you are made whole for the harms and losses you’ve sustained.

Understanding Iowa Insurance Laws

Iowa is a fault-based insurance state, meaning that the negligent party’s insurance must pay for your medical bills and any resulting damages. Iowa also follows a modified comparative fault model, which assigns responsibility for damages based on the percentage of fault caused by each party. However, if the plaintiff’s fault is above 50%, their recovery may be limited or barred.

In Iowa, drivers must carry liability insurance that covers accidents, medical bills and property damage when the policyholder caused the accident. However, liability insurance does not cover the costs if another driver causes the accident. As part of your insurance coverage, you can add on MedPay, or medical payments coverage that will cover those costs.

Medical Bills And Insurance – Let Us Help You Navigate The Maze

An injury from a motor vehicle collision can result in significant medical bills piling up for diagnosis, care and treatment. It’s natural to become overwhelmed when the bills start arriving in the mail and billing offices and collections agencies come calling. The attorneys and staff at Galligan Law have years of training and experience helping clients get their medical bills paid through their health insurance, government benefit programs or medical coverage from their auto policy.

Our team at Galligan Law will ease your load and deal directly with medical providers to get your bills paid by applicable insurance coverage, set up a reasonable payment plan or keep collection efforts at bay until you obtain a recovery from the negligent driver that caused your injuries and medical care.

Frequently Asked Questions About Iowa Car Accidents

Thousands of people are injured in Iowa car accidents every year. Personal injury claims offer a means of financial assistance. Here are some common questions that we are asked:

How long do you have to file a personal injury claim after a car accident?

In Iowa, you have two years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. It is essential that you contact an experienced accident lawyer as soon as possible to get started on your case in a timely manner.

What are the most dangerous roads in Iowa?

Researchers have found Interstate 80 to be the most dangerous highway in Iowa for traffic deaths caused by car accidents. It has high volumes of personal vehicles and large commercial trucks, bisecting the state east-to-west and traveling at high speeds.

U.S. Route 20 in Iowa is another major east-west roadway with a history of fatal crashes. Though the Iowa section of Route 20 has been a four-lane divided highway since October 2018, it remains a dangerous road.

What should you do after a car accident?

What you do in the aftermath is crucial. If you can move yourself and your vehicle out of harm’s way, then do so. Failing that, switch on your hazards to alert other road users. Only exit the vehicle and move yourself to a safer spot if it is safe.

You’ll also want to alert the emergency services as soon as possible. Call 911 and ask for the police, ambulance and fire services if needed. The most important thing is that anyone with injuries gets immediate medical attention.

If you can, you should gather as many details as possible. Get contact information from any other involved drivers and witnesses. Take photos of any damage to the vehicle.

Who pays your medical bills after an Iowa car accident?

If your injuries were the result of another driver’s negligence, then they should be held liable for your bills through Iowa’s fault-based insurance system. They can pay for them through their insurer. If they were uninsured, then you have the option to sue the negligent driver personally. Your own insurer may also pay out for your medical bills if necessary.

Why do I need an attorney after a car accident?

The time after an accident is stressful and overwhelming, especially if you face painful injuries and a long recovery time. With so much going on, you should be able to focus on your recovery instead of legal paperwork. Working with an experienced personal injury lawyer can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case and lift some of the burden off your shoulders. We will help you with every detail of your case, from the initial investigation process, and gathering evidence to negotiating a fair settlement to get you the compensation you deserve.

Fighting For Your Rights After An Iowa Car Accident

Reach our law offices by calling Local: 515-316-6179 or completing our online inquiry form. Our investigation of your motor vehicle collision case is free. If we don’t take your case or obtain a successful recovery for you, we don’t charge you a fee for our professional services or ask you to pay back the costs we’ve incurred. You will only be charged if there is a successful outcome in your case and a financial recovery on your behalf.