What Types of Compensation Can I Get?

Galligan Reid PC in Des Moines is a law firm that helps injured people and the families of wrongful death victims obtain fair compensation. With more than 25 years of experience, we have the resources and advocacy skills needed to win challenging cases involving defective drugs and medical products.

What Types of Compensation Can I Get?

Some of the types of compensation you can obtain in a defective drug or medical device case include:

Medical costs — These can include the costs of hospitalization, visits to your doctor or a specialist, laboratory test costs, travel costs to and from medical providers, and other costs. If you require replacement of an implanted medical device, you are entitled to compensation for all costs related to that surgery, as well as the first surgery.

Lost income — You can claim compensation for your past and future income loss. We sometimes employ the services of an economist or vocational specialist who can calculate the full amount of this figure.

Pain and suffering — You can claim compensation for physical pain and suffering, emotional distress and psychological pain and suffering, and other noneconomic losses.

Loss of consortium — If your relations with your spouse or family members has been affected by your injuries, we will place a value on those losses for inclusion in your claim.

Loss of function — Compensation for the loss of the use of a body part, physical function or mental faculties.

Wrongful death compensation — This can include medical costs prior to death, lost income the deceased would have earned, pain and suffering of the deceased prior to death, and noneconomic losses suffered by the heirs of the estate such as loss of consortium and loss of companionship.

Helping You Get the Compensation You Deserve

Out-of-pocket medical costs and lost income can be calculated with certainty. The amount of compensation for noneconomic losses such as pain and suffering is based on qualitative, not quantitative, considerations. The exact amount will be determined during settlement negotiations, in mediation or during jury deliberations. This is where an experienced personal injury attorney can make a significant difference in the amount of the settlement or jury award.

Our lawyers are skilled at identifying all possible compensable damages. In addition, we have a nurse consultant on staff who can provide insights regarding medical treatment and costs. As your strong advocate, we will seek full compensation for all of your economic and noneconomic losses.

No Recovery, No Fee

Galligan Reid PC accepts personal injury and wrongful death cases on contingency. We charge an attorney fee only if we obtain compensation for you.

Free Consultation — Contact Our Firm

For a free consultation about a defective drug or medical device case in Iowa, contact Galligan Reid PC.